PSI Webinar – Voluntary and Mandatory Product Stewardship Programs
The Product Stewardship Institute, a founding member of the GlobalPSC, is hosting a webinar on voluntary and mandatory product stewardship programs featuring a range of North American experts, most of whom are also GlobalPSC members.
Voluntary and Mandatory Product Stewardship Programs—Finding the balance between government regulation and private sector initiative
Thursday, June 14
1:00-2:30 PM ET/10:00-11:30 AM PT
Overview: The producer responsibility approach seeks to engage manufacturers in taking greater financial and management responsibility for reducing the environmental and social impacts of their products over the entire lifecycle. Product stewardship programs can take the form of voluntary industry-driven programs, as well as programs that are regulated. Which achieve better outcomes? Which are most cost effective? Which ones are paving the way forward toward the proper balance between government regulation and free market innovation? Which functions are better for government to manage and which should be the domain of producers? This webinar will explore a controversial topic about which there are many strong opinions. We will hear from those who advocate for all sides of the issue, in the U.S. and Canada.
Moderator: Scott Cassel, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Product Stewardship Institute
- Walter Alcorn, Vice President, Environmental Affairs and Industry Sustainability, Consumer Electronics Association
- Neil Hastie, President and CEO, Encorp Pacific
- Carl Smith, CEO/President, Call2Recycle
- Garth Hickle, Product Stewardship Team Leader, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
- David Lawes, Head, Industry Product Stewardship, British Columbia Ministry of Environment
- Sego Jackson, Principal Planner, Snohomish County, Washington