GlobalPSC News – August 2014
Recycling in a Global Economy – GlobalPSC Thought Leadership Forum
Recycling in a Global Economy
SMC Conference & Function Centre, 66 Goulburn Street, Sydney
9:00am to 1:00pm
The Global Product Stewardship Council and its members invite you to our latest thought leadership forum featuring Adam Minter, the author of best-selling book Junkyard Planet. Adam is a third-generation scrap dealer turned journalist who’s spent over a decade living in Asia, examining recycling practices first-hand and sharing his insights.
The GlobalPSC and electronics recycler TES-AMM are pleased to provide this first Australian opportunity to hear and meet Adam Minter. Adam’s presentation will be followed by a panel discussion with Adam and other international experts on the implications of Adam’s insights for Australia. Participants will include:
- Anna Minns, General Manager TerraCycle Australia & New Zealand
- John Lingelbach, Executive Director of SERI
- Justin O’Sullivan, Executive Director – Sales Operations of Dell Australia
- Scientia Professor Veena Sahajwalla, Director of SmaRT Centre, UNSW Australia
- John Gertsakis, Chief Sustainability Officer of Infoactiv Group and Product Stewardship Advisory Group member
- Dr Helen Lewis, Principal of Helen Lewis Research and Australian Battery Recycling Initiative Chief Executive
Discussions will be facilitated by GlobalPSC CEO Russ Martin.
Join us to learn and discuss:
- How is economic growth in China driving demand for recycled materials?
- How does the global trade in recyclable materials affect recycling in countries like the US and Australia?
- How can we ensure responsible recycling practices, particularly for e-waste and plastics?
- How do changing economic conditions both help and hurt recycling and reuse, especially for electronics?
- What role will the informal sector play in the future of recycling?
- What are the implications of global material flows for product stewardship?
- What are incentives and drivers for incorporating Design for Environment and the circular economy in product stewardship?
Registrations are $275 (GST-incl) for non-members of the GlobalPSC and $125 (GST-incl) for GlobalPSC members. Registration and payment information is available here. A light lunch will be provided for registered attendees.
Proudly sponsored by TES-AMM, Dell, TechCollect and SERI.
GlobalPSC Forms Advisory Group on Product Stewardship and Extended Producer Responsibility
At the Global Product Stewardship Council, we take pride in the breadth and depth of experience represented by our members and our extensive global network of those in the know. We regularly seek information and advice from a diverse range of experts across varying product types, regulatory perspectives and program experience. To help optimise these efforts, we recently announced the founding members of the GlobalPSC Advisory Group spanning Europe, Africa, North America and the Asia Pacific:
- Richard Barnish of DHL Envirosolutions
- John Gertsakis of Infoactiv Logistics Solutions
- Kylie Hughes of the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
- Jay Illingworth of the Electronic Products Recycling Association
- David Lawes of David Lawes & Associates
- Dr Helen Lewis of Helen Lewis Research
- Sophi MacMillan of the Vinyl Council of Australia
- Joachim Quoden of the Extended Producer Responsibility Alliance
- Cheri Scholtz of the PET Recycling Company
Brief profiles for GlobalPSC Advisory Group members are provided here.
The GlobalPSC will regularly canvass information and views from the Advisory Group, as we did recently in preparing submissions to governments on proposed changes to product stewardship and extended producer responsibility frameworks in Nova Scotia and New Zealand. Neither submission has been made publicly available yet, but both are available in the members-only Knowledge Base under the Frameworks & Harmonisation tab.
New GlobalPSC Members and Member Profiles
- Dell (Worldwide)
- WasteMINZ (New Zealand)
- Reclay StewardEdge (North America)
- DHL Supply Chain (Sustaining Corporate Member)
- Australian Packaging Covenant
Member profiles and program updates are available here.
The Global Product Stewardship Council is presenting at or participating in the following events:
- Business and Environment Achievement Award Lunch, 11 September 2014 in Surrey, Canada
- WasteMINZ 26th Annual Conference, 20-23 October 2014 in Wellington, New Zealand
- Recycling in a Global Economy – GlobalPSC Thought Leadership Forum, 27 October 2014 in Sydney, Australia
- CEO & Business Leaders Summit, 20 November 2014 in Sydney, Australia
- Product Stewardship & Wealth from Waste Conference, 26-28 November 2014 in Sydney, Australia
At these events, we will be promoting the involvement of GlobalPSC members and our activities.